Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A litttle German, a seagull riding a turtle and fishing in Darwin

I am no photoshop wizard, so it has taken me several days to turn the goldfish Lacy caught into the beast you see below. After the CGI effects, this Golden Snapper was the biggest fish caught on the charter and a mighty fish worthy of Lacy's mighty hangover the following day.


I was surprisingly impressed with Darwin. I am not sure what I was expecting - maybe a rough frontier town, however there was a really young, fun, outdoors feeling to Darwin and it is somewhere I would head back to in a flash. The city is clean, small and generally navigable on foot. There are lots of backpackers and tourists contributing to the party atmosphere and upon my arrival at the airport at 3:00am, the ZZ Top bearded taxi driver greeted me with a "Ow r ya Cobba?".

Does it get any better?

Out on the water we saw a number of sharks (including the one I caught - "we're going to need a bigger boat"), porpoises, sea snakes, squid and yes, a seagull standing on the back of a swimming turtle. It is an amazingly rich environment - a very uplifting place to be.

A cheeky pub crawl on Saturday night led us to meet a small German. If you recall Goldmember of Austin Powers fame then you have a good image of our friend. "I am little and German - isn't that vierd?"

Needless to say, we only had one drink at that pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment