Sunday, November 14, 2010

Waku Ghin

Tetsuya's Singapore restaurant opened recently and we were lucky enough to visit on the weekend. The cuisine is Japanese as opposed to the Japanese influenced served at Testuya's and is cooked/prepared at Teppanyaki stations, something I enjoy as I love seeing what's going on. The cost is incredibly high and its hard to even consider if "its worth it." I will say it is one of the greatest dining experiences I have had in a long long time.


Warm soup of pumpkin with white truffle.
Martinated botan ebi with sea urchin & Oscietre caviar.
Tachiuo wrapped in Pancetta with braised witlof & aonori.
Abalone with fregola & tomato.
Braised lobster with tarragon.
Warm salad of Cape Grim grass fed beef.
Australian blackmore Wagyu with wasabi.
Consomme with rice & snapper.
Gyokuro.
Granita of Kyoho grapes.
Ghin cheesecake.


The new fact for the evening was that the harder you grate fresh wasabi, the hotter it gets. We took the Pepsi challenge and sure enough less pressure results in a milder wasabi.


I have never really seen why abalone is such a highly regarded ingredient and I still don't, however the abalone dish served at Waku Ghin was phenomenal and by far my favourite dish of the evening.

The food was incredibly restrained. Exceptional ingredients prepared very delicately, the chef's skill being leaving the ingredients alone rather than doing too much. I would absolutely go back tomorrow, if someone else paid or next year if I am paying.

No comments:

Post a Comment