Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Miele Guide

So we ordered a copy of the Miele Guide and we have been lucky enough to try many of the restaurants that Miele rate as Asia's top 20 restaurants. Sadly it's all fine dining - go to Makanasutra for Singapore's street food.

I don't know enough adjectives to write food reviews so my general thoughts on some of the Singapore restaurants are:
  • Iggy's. At first Iggy's didn't impress me that much. It's in a dated, out of the way building, it is hard to find once in the building and I thought that they were trying to be casual but could not get over their own stiffness. I liked the decor - sort of Scandinavian chic meets 80's timber. A didn't like it but, who would you trust? On reflection, the food was actually very good with a couple of stand-out dished in the ocean trout with caviar & potato salad and the souffle. Iggy's is a quick business lunch kind of place.
  • Jaan Par Andre. On my first visit I was blown away. One dish in particular I thought was good a course as I have eaten in my life. Foie Gras a la Forestiere was unbelievably good but on my second visit I stupidly ate it again, only for the dish to fall short of my memory. The food is much more worked and fussy and sadly the restaurant has no soul. Jaan is good for tourists as the view from the view from the 70 floor is not bad.
  • Les Amis. The food at Les Amis was not as sophisticated as Jaan or Iggy's and while I had a good meal, I thought that I would rather go to one of the previous two restaurants before Les Amis again. As I have had time to think, I would now say that Les Amis is the pick for me. The food was rustic and relaxed, basic meals and great ingredients cooked simply and very well. I would be very happy taking it easy with a bunch of friends all afternoon in Les Amis - a relaxed and enjoyable restaurant.

I think that the list of Miele restaurant's is a pretty poor selection of restaurants as Asia's top 20. I think that the list has been compiled for and by wealthy expats, foreigners and locals who believe that a dirty street jaozi restaurant is a cultural embarrassment.

Bring on the Shanghai chilli yabbies, the Hoi An pho and the Tokyo yakitori

No comments:

Post a Comment